Community

Broncos or Bust: The Power of Rituals in Building Community for People with Disabilities

It has almost been a week since the Denver Broncos won the Super Bowl. The pros and cons of professional football are debatable. After all, the extravagance of the Super Bowl reaches the stratosphere of lavishness. We know the serious issues around injury and concussion, the ridiculous salaries and questionable taxpayer support of wealthy teams, […]

Broncos or Bust: The Power of Rituals in Building Community for People with Disabilities Read More »

Three Gifts Under Our Christmas Tree 2015

Do the gifts of community come from systems or families? Intelligent, hardworking human services professionals discuss the need for inclusive communities and person-centered planning. I know, I have sat in numerous conference rooms over the years, I hear the concern in their voices as they acknowledge the elusive nature of creating enduring communities.  If they could provide the

Three Gifts Under Our Christmas Tree 2015 Read More »

Is Craigslist God’s Way of Saving the World?

Is Craigslist God’s Way of Saving the World? Tiredness sets in.  I hear my bed’s urgent call, “Get in here!” I fail to heed the call, and instead, grab my Smart Phone and check it one more time before I give up on another long day.  The switch from daylight savings time has thrown me

Is Craigslist God’s Way of Saving the World? Read More »

Our Shining Beautiful Community Glimmers this Holiday Season

While we love our words on Shining Beautiful, it is difficult to string them together in such a way as to capture the camera sees and what are hearts feel during the holiday season. Each year, we have two major events, a holiday party and Mikelle’s birthday party. These celebrations not only connect Mikelle to

Our Shining Beautiful Community Glimmers this Holiday Season Read More »